DISTANCE LEARNING NOTICE TO PARENTS
Dear James Singleton Charter School Families,
I am writing to inform you that despite our hopes and plans, the public health conditions in New Orleans do not support an in-person return to school for our students in August. Superintendent Henderson Lewis has announced that based upon a review of current critical health data, including key data trends showing that COVID-19 cases are increasing, all NOLA Public Schools will begin the school year in a distance learning model. By the end of August, the district will assess whether in-person instruction can resume after Labor Day.
James Singleton Charter School will begin
the school year by implementing our distance learning plan for students on Tuesday, August 4, 2020. The staff of James Singleton looks forward to embarking on our new road to teaching and learning using the distance learning model via online platforms. Parents will be contacted in a few days to provide more information about distance learning.
As you prepare for the 2020-21 academic school year here are a few things to remember:
DO NOT REPORT
to the school building on August 4, 2020.
• Students will begin classes using Distance Learning on August 4, 2020.
• Parent Orientation is canceled until further notice.
• Transportation will not be scheduled until further notice.
• All students are required to log in everyday to Google Classroom to participate in class.
• Students must attend classes via Google Classroom and wear his or her uniform shirt.
• Returning students may wear his or her previous year’s uniform shirt
• Orleans Parish Public School System will continue to provide “Grab & Go” style meals to students. Details will follow prior to the start of the year.
• Parents should stay informed via the James Singleton website, text messaging, and our social media
pages located on Facebook/Instagram for information pertaining to the start of the school year.
• The school calendar is available on the James Singleton website.
As your family begins planning for the 2020-21 academic year, please know that:
• All families have the option to “opt out” of in-person learning and choose distance learning for the
2020-21 school year once students may return to the school buildings. Information relating to such
shall be provided soon.
• During Distance Learning all athletic practices and competitions are suspended.
The district will continue to work with the city to track critical health milestones to determine when we can shift to in-person learning. James Singleton Charter School, along with all other NOLA Public Schools, is committed to adhering to this citywide plan. Whether in-person or distant, our staff looks forward to supporting your family and ensuring we help your child reach his or her full potential.
Please remember, it is important for us as a community to do all we can to reduce the community spread of COVID-19 by masking up, washing hands, and socially distancing when possible. Please stay home if you are feeling sick. There are forty-five thousand students in New Orleans who depend on all of us to do our part in getting them back into their desks and their school lives. Reducing the spread of COVID-19 will allow the quicker return to in-person
Head of School
JAMES M. SINGLETON CHARTER